July 1, 2009 Comments Off
Starstruck: a Benefit for “Gentleman Gene” Colan at The Henry Miller Library, Big Sur. The original off-Broadway sci-fantasy comedy, and basis for the Elaine Lee/Michael Kaluta comic book series, presented for the first time in 25 years!
Saturday, August 15: 6:30pm reception, 7:30pm performance. $12.80 advance admission, $20.00 at the door. Silent auction! Libations! United Federation of Freedom Fighters! www.henrymiller.org to make reservations.
Featuring Lance Roger Axt, Victoria Blaszczak, Arden Eaton, Ami-Sue Lawless, David Manchel, Geoff Mutch, and Jennie Tezak, with Barbara Smythe, with Lance Roger Axt, Rob Eaton, and David Manchel on SFX. Special guests: Elaine Lee (Starstruck‘s creator) and painter Lee Moyer (colorist of the new series from IDW Publishing).
It’s been a while since a post from the AudioComics team, but while June was a bit of a slow month, things are starting to get cookin’, so let’s have some Starstruck news:
First, we’re happy to announce that both Elaine Lee and painter Lee Moyer (colorist of IDW’s new Starstruck title) will both be in attendance for the August 15 benefit reading/recording prep. Their rooms have been booked (despite the forthcoming shmooze-fest known as the Monterey Concourse) and barring flash floods, stormy weather, or other assorted acts of God, they will be in Big Sir for the rilly big shoe. Rehearsals begin next week in nearby Pacific Grove (Lance’s home); furthermore, items for the silent auction are flyin’ in fast and furious and include (as of 7/1/2009):
- “Comic Book Dreams” print by Todd Klein and Alex Ross;
- A selection of prints from artist Tom Fleming: “Green Lantern,” “Elektra,” “Superman’s Funeral,” and “Avengers;”
- A limited edition Tori Amos poster courtesy of painter Lee Moyer;
- Jazz concert posters courtesy of artist Dennis Loren and PosterPlanet;
- A gift basket of pet toys and treats from Diggidy Dog in Carmel, CA;
- A framed/mounted ”Eric Clapton” Fillmore concert poster (from the personal collection of Lance Roger Axt);
- A framed/mounted “King Crimson” Warfield concert poster (from the personal collection of Lance Roger Axt);
- An audio theatre/audio book basket featuring CD’s from Blackstone Audio and the ZBS Foundation;
- A one-of-a-kind original multi-media art commission created specifically for this event by artist Frankie B. Washington: “They’re Looking at Us…” featuring Gentleman Gene standing side-by-side with Daredevil.
And there’ll be a few other goodies to come. At least 15 items available.
Second, we want to give a big thanks to Elaine, Lee, and Mike Kaluta for their shout-out about the benefit and AudioComics in the recent Newsarama interview! Here’s the link: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060918-Starstruck2.html.
Third, the “official” recording of the play: when? Where? Who? How? Well, for now we’re keeping that under wraps, but we should have some announcements for you soon. Right now the focus is obviously on the reading, but we are working toward something exciting. And yes, Elaine and Lance have discussed how the new Starstruck stories would happen, and its a damn good idea.
Oh yeah, please send your well wishes to our very own Bill Dufris: to put it bluntly, SHE SAID “YES!”
(Yes to what?
Marriage, ya dope!